Angie's List and Rush Limbaugh

On April 22, 2012, I sent the following email to Angie's List:

Subject:     advertising on Rush Limbaugh
Why does a company started by a woman support a man who has proven his misogyny again and again? If Angies List does not cease advertising on the EIB network, I will have to end my business relationship with you.
On April 24, 2012, I received the following reply:

Hello John,


Thanks very much for contacting us to share your thoughts about Rush Limbaugh. I'm sorry for the delay in our response.


Our advertising strategy is to use as many venues as possible to share information about the service we provide at Angie’s List. We use this wide array of venues not to express support for any specific person, outlet or philosophy but to reach as many consumers from as many points of view as possible.


We place ads on all the major networks and cable outlets, as well as radio and newspapers, reaching outlets that cover the gamut of conservative to moderate to progressive to liberal. On any given day, we’ll hear negative reaction to our choices from each part of that spectrum, most of them protesting that we do not support their particular issue or that we do support another.


Just as we trust members to read reports and make their own decisions about which service companies to hire, we trust them to make their own choices about which outlets to watch, listen to and read. We don’t believe it’s our job to tell them which of those venues to support or monitor. That said, we have ongoing conversations about where to place our ad dollars, and we’ll certainly add your comments to that discussion.


Thanks again for reaching out, John. I hope you can appreciate our strategy of inclusiveness.


Ashley Arthur
Written Correspondence
Angie's List
 To which I replied:

"Inclusiveness"?


What a strange word to apply to a narrow-minded, racist, misogynist person like Rush Limbaugh.


Please cancel my membership.
Here's how you can cancel your membership:
Online: Via the Contact Us page
Phone: (866) 623-6088
Mail: Attn: Member Services, 1030 E Washington St, Indianapolis, IN 46202
Fax: (866) 670-5478
Please include your name, address and phone number in any written cancellation requests so that we can identify your account. Your cancellation request must be received no later than 5 pm on the day prior to any scheduled renewal payment date, which can be found on the My Account page. Annual memberships are backed by our 110% satisfaction guarantee. Sorry, no refunds for monthly memberships.

3 comments:

Captain Liberty said...

Even better than cancelling your membership, start calling the companies that are listed in the Angie's List catalog which they send out each month. Tell them that as long as they do business with Angie's and Angie's supports the hate monger, you won't spend one red cent with them.

Anonymous said...

Since I'm no longer a member, I won't receive the catalog anymore. I don't have any old ones becuase I threw it out as soon as I got it...it was more useless than an inflight magazine. At least those have entertaining copy.

It sounds like an excellent exercise for you, though

Jennifer and Santosh said...

I deleted my reviews too before closing the account and getting my money back. I'm not letting them sell my reviews!!!! We have to keep it up - they are betting that we will move on.