Debunking the "50 greatest conservative songs", part 4

A couple of more songs from those Republican, "revolutionaries". Hold on a second, I just spit Coke all over my monitor and keyboard. I can't believe how funny Republican and revolutionaries sound together. Anyway, on to the tunes.

1. "Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who

NRO Take: The conservative movement is full of disillusioned revolutionaries; this could be their theme song, an oath that swears off idealism once and for all. There's nothing in the streets / Looks any different to me / And the slogans are replaced, by-the-bye. . . . Meet the new boss / Same as the old boss. The instantly recognizable synthesizer intro, Pete Townshend's ringing guitar, Keith Moon's pounding drums, and Roger Daltrey's wailing vocals make this one of the most explosive rock anthems ever recorded, the best number by a big band, and a classic for conservatives.

DL Take: The conservative movement is full of something but it's definitely not revolutionaries. When was the last time you heard a conservative speak about revolution in the context of our government? What do you think would happen if there was an actual revolution? My belief is that the sheep would hide under their bed and tune into Fox News where they will hear about some missing white girl.

This is the best of the list. I really can't do justice to explaining the true meaning of this song so I will turn it over to Pete Townshend who made a comment about making this list.

18. "Cult Of Personality" - Living Colour

NRO Take: A hard-rocking critique of state power, whacking Mussolini, Stalin, and even JFK: I exploit you, still you love me / I tell you one and one makes three / I'm the cult of personality.

DL Take: I can believe that he really looks at the people mentioned and takes this song literally. He really thinks it's an anti-JFK song and that JFK is no different than Mussolini and Stalin.

First, let me give you the definition of, "cult of personality" as defined on answers.com:


"A cult of personality is a political institution in which a country's leader encourages praise of himself and his deeds to such a degree that this praise affects nearly every facet of the country's culture. A cult of personality differs from general hero worship in that it is specifically built around political leaders. However, the term cult of personality is often applied by analogy to refer to adulation of non-political leaders."
Now, let's look at some of the lines of the song:

The mirror speaks, the reflection lies
You don't have to follow me
Only you can set me free
I sell the things you need to be
I'm the smiling face on your T.V.
I'm the Cult of Personality
I exploit you still you love me

Let's just take the last line out of those verses, "I exploit you still you love me". Sound familiar? Like any current leader you may know? (Correction: on the, "still you love me" part, I believe the love is still in the low 40 percentile).

With an administration that has smeared dissenters ad-nauseum style, and the lies, and secret surveillance, how can he even claim that this belongs to the conservatives? Simple - he made it up as he went along.

No comments: