Explain to me how this works

Let's see, oil companies are fixing the price of gas sky high, so the logical solution would be to...have the government reimburse taxpayers for the overcharging?

Honest to God, this is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. It's nothing more than a gimmick, just like the $300 refund everyone got back in 2001. This isn't going to solve anything. If they were serious about helping the public out, they'd go after the oil companies. Moreover, how're they going to decide who gets the rebate? As Americablog points out, this idea is frought with complications.

I know that this bill supposedly 'repeals tax incentives' for the oil companies. I guess that's a good thing, I'd feel better if it called for repealing all subsidies, which I would have to think are more lucrative for the oil companies (if I'm wrong on this feel free to tell me so - just remember, I'm the decider on this post, and I'll decide whether or not I believe you).

No comments: