A Brief History Lesson

Like many sport fanatics, I spent my Sunday afternoon watching the Cinderella story, George Mason University defeat UConn. UConn was picked by many to advance to the final four and win the championship.

Being the inquisitive type, I had to ask who the heck George Mason was and why does he deserve an entire University named after him? Not being the most fluent person on American history, I had to find out.

At first I thought that he was a popular comedian from the 1960’s but that happens to be Jackie Mason (Side note: did you know that Jackie Mason has written for the American Spectator and Washington Times? Go figure.).

George Mason, as I found from reading his biography, was born in 1725 and lived in Virginia. He was a member of the Virginia House of Burgesses and assisted in writing the Fairfax Resolves, a document which would serve as a model for Jefferson in the writing of the Declaration of Independence and also served as a basis for the Bill of Rights. Mason supported the disestablishment of the church and was a very influential voice, speaking out for the rights of individuals and states and not the federal government at the Constitutional Convention in 1787.

This weekend I will be rooting for the underdog, George Mason. I might as well, there aren’t any teams left from my bracket picks.

No comments: