Liberal blogs (except one) take the republicans to the woodshed

Time released its list of the top 25 blogs for 2009 (glad we could decide on that so quickly), and I was very happy to see that four of the top 25 were true liberal blogs - Talking Points Memo, Huffington Post, Crooks & Liars, and Paul Krugman's NYT blog (some would call Andrew Sullivan's blog liberal as well, but truthfully he's a conservative that just doesn't buy the republican line and likes Obama).

How many right-wing blogs made the list? Zero. Nada. Nil. John Cole at Balloon Juice (a former RedState contributer) said it better than I could:

It’s almost as if TIME recognizes that rightwing blogs are a self-contradicting construct in a party/mentality better suited to the I-talk-you-obey format of talk radio...[n]eedless to say thin-skinned media obsessives on the right will declare war againt TIME (TWAT?) any moment now.
One item that surprised me, however, was their list of the five most overrated blogs of 2009, which included DailyKos.

With the Bush years now just a memory, Kos's blog has lost its mission, and its increasingly rudderless posts read like talking points from the Democratic National Committee.
Now, I'd dispute their last phrase, in that I don't think their site spews DNC-like rhetoric. I've always felt that they leaned considerably more to the left than the typical party legislator, and haven't been shy calling to task members that they think aren't progressive enough.

Having said that, we've had Kos as a visitor of the group. I like him. I think he's a smart and engaging guy, and a pretty good businessman.

But I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate that website! It is, like Time said, rudderless. There's no rhyme nor reason to what goes on the front page - one post might be about habeas corpus, and the next one about a state congressional race in Wyoming. The skills of the bloggers are vastly different, with styles that are completely inconsistent with one another. And don't even get me started on the diaries.

So, while I was glad to see that the righty blogs no longer get any sort of recognition, I was also happy to see that the MSM is separating sites like TPM (which for my money is as good as it gets in political reporting) and Crooks & Liars from Kos.

No comments: