Open thread: The Muslim Rallies

I guess I'm looking to get some input on this whole situation regarding the cartoon in the Danish publication that has offended the Muslim world so much. I'll be honest, I haven't seen it so I'm working from a position of curiosity more than judgment. I can certainly appreciate that an offensive cartoon would cause a reaction in the Muslim community. But it's been a week and a half now. At some point these stop becoming demonstrations over the cartoon and turn into just plain old riots. Am I missing something here?

On the flipside, I heard a reporter make an excellent statement, that we in the Western world feel that nothing is sacred, and we forget that there are cultures where there are subjects that you don't touch. Kind of the same way that maybe democracy isn't the perfect solution for everyone?

Anyways, I'm thinking on HTML here, I'm really just looking to get opinions on this and very curious to hear what others might be thinking.

No comments: