Music Review - Nattie Hattie's Valentine Mix

Nattie Hattie has blessed us with another one of her great holiday mixes. The mix, “DL Loves Me, DL Loves Me Not” is a follow up to the Thanksgiving, “Eating Liberally” and the, “Happy Chrismaramadakwanzakkuh” holiday mix and is perfect for Valentine’s day.

The special Valentine mix contains a collection of, “love” and, “not so in love” songs. Don’t be mistaken – the, “love” songs aren’t your typical soft rock classics and the, “not so much in love” songs are not your usual cry in your beer Country classics. Instead, it is an eclectic collection of songs that you will not hear on corporate radio.

The mix starts out with the song, “More Than This” by Roxy Music which is a perfect start to any Valentine mix. By the way, to all of the men out there – if you are planning an intimate night with a lady, pick up some candles and a copy of the CD, “Avalon” by Roxy Music. I guarantee results.

The mix moves in and out of the love/hate mood with songs such as the cover of, “Love Hurts” by Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris. They bring emotion to a song that was originally sung by the Everly Brothers and covered by just about everyone from Roy Orbison, Don McLean, and lastly butchered very badly by Nazareth. From there, the mix moves into The Patti Smith Group’s “Because The Night”, and on.

Other notable songs on the mix include “Fistful Of Love” by Antony and The Johnsons which has some great vocals as well as Neko Case. If you have never heard Neko Case before this, you will definitely fall in love with her voice.

A Valentine mix would not be complete without an Otis Redding song. Guys, remember what I said about Roxy Music? Same goes for Otis Redding. Do yourself a favor and pick up some of his work.

The surprise for me on the mix was a song by The Hard Lessons. For all of you hard core DL’ers, you may remember that The Hard Lessons played one night several months ago after one of our meetings. One of my favorite DL live bands.

I give the mix an A. The only reason it didn’t get an A+ was because there were more bitter love songs from women than men. Sorry Nattie, we men get bitter too!

I love it (get it? Love? Valentine? I’m too much!) and I am looking forward to the next holiday mix. Perhaps St. Patricks day Nattie? How about some Pogues, Chieftains, and U2 from my wish list?

Thanks again for being so generous and keeping us in very good music.

Here is the track listing for those who want to create an iMix:

More Than This – Roxy Music
The Fear – Pulp
I Believe (When I Fall In Love It Will Be Forever) – Stevie Wonder
Love Hurts – Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris
Because The Night – The Patti Smith Group
Fistful Of Love – Antony and The Johnsons
I Wish I Was The Moon – Neko Case
I’ll Be Your Mirror – The Velvet Underground
Somebody’s Miracle – Liz Phair
Satellite Of Love – Lou Reed
J’ai Dansé Avec L’amour – Edith Piaf
In My Life – The Beatles
Pain In My Heart (Alt. Take) – Otis Redding
Dream A Little Dream Of Me – The Mamas and The Papas
Oh My Lover – PJ Harvey
Steal Your Love – Lucinda Williams
Love Gone Cold – The Hard Lessons
Tattooed Love Boys – The Pretenders
Maps – Yeah Yeah Yeahs
The Origin Of Love – Hedwig and The Angry Inch

No comments: